Connect with us

Happening Now

NYC School Sues Miami Hotel Over Canceled Reservation

Published

on

In what could be a preview of things to come in the travel industry, a New York City school has filed a lawsuit against one of the grandest resorts in Miami Beach, saying the hotel refuses to refund a $2.3 million down payment for a 10-day Passover trip it had to cancel due to the coronavirus.

Almost 1,200 students, parents and staff of New York’s Magen David Yeshivah day school had planned the trip over the Jewish holiday, renting 621 rooms for 10 nights at the fabled Eden Roc Hotel. But New York has become the epicenter of the COVID-19 virus, and the school informed the resort on March 8 that many of the people who had intended to take the trip had dropped out.

So the school canceled the entire traveling party asking for the $2.3 million deposit back and filing a lawsuit in Miami-Dad Circuit Court, coronavirus/article241632126.html” target=”_blank” rel=”nofollow noopener noreferrer”>according to the Miami Herald.

The school is seeking the down payment, citing a passage in the contract that provided the trip could be canceled in the event of a “disease outbreak.”

But, as the Herald noted, the Eden Roc is insisting the event be rescheduled or “proceed as scheduled with whomever was foolhardy enough to travel from New York to Miami Beach for the Passover 2020 event,” according to the lawsuit filed by lawyer Daniel Blonsky of the firm Coffey Burlington.

A publicist and a lawyer for the Eden Roc did not return a request for comment from the newspaper.

This could be a precedent-setting lawsuit for the entire travel industry when it comes to cancellations and refunds. The airline industry is currently grappling with its customers and travel agents over refunds on trips ruined by the virus, offering in many cases vouchers for future trips.

One thing that might be in the school’s favor is that the city of Miami Beach and Miami-Dade County have ordered the closing of all hotels except for essential guests such as emergency and medical workers, and people unable to return to their homes outside of Florida. In addition, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis this week ordered a state-wide stay-at-home order.

New York State did the same on March 18.

“It is now illegal for the hotel to be in operation or to host the 2020 Passover event,” the lawsuit said.

This post was published by our news partner: TravelPulse.com | Article Source

Comments & Discussion

Happening Now

WTTC Unveils Safe Travels Protocols for Airlines, Tour Operators and More

Published

on

The World Travel & Tourism Council (WTTC) has unveiled a new round of safety measures aimed at airlines, airports, tour operators and meeting and event organizers in an effort to propel the post-COVID-19 recovery.

WTTC previously released its Safe Travels protocols for the hospitality sector as well as outdoor retail businesses.

Developed following close consultation with WTTC members such as the International Air Transport Association (IATA), Emirates Group and Etihad, among others, guidance for the aviation industry includes enhanced cleaning procedures, personal protective equipment (PPE) and retraining for staff, signage to limit interaction and queuing at touchpoints and the implementation of more contactless processes.

WTTC is also recommending that airlines limit movement within the cabin as much as possible by boarding passengers from the back of the plane to the front and from the window seats out to the aisle seats.

“COVID-19 is a gamechanger for the travel and tourism sector, requiring us to enhance our approach to health and safety to protect our travelers and workforce,” said Alexandre de Juniac, Director General and CEO at IATA, in a statement. “Aviation is the business of freedom and it is vital to enable its restart on a safe basis. IATA is delighted to lend its framework and collaborate with WTTC on the Aviation Protocols as part of its Safe Travels initiative. This is an excellent example of the industry solidarity and cooperation that will be so vital to ensuring a strong recovery for travel and tourism.”

Meanwhile, tour operators are being asked to enhance disinfection and deep cleaning practices for coaches and other vehicles as well as to roll out pre-allocated seating plans with no rotation and explore staggered timing for access to venues, hotels and restaurants, among other measures.

Convention centers and meetings and event organizers are encouraged to implement physical distancing, reduce venue capacity limits, consider pre-arrival risk assessment questionnaires for participants and create isolation units outside the venue where possible for anyone showing COVID-19 symptoms.

“For the first time ever, the global private sector has rallied around our Safe Travels protocols which will create the consistency needed to allow a re-invigorated Travel & Tourism sector re-open for business,” stated WTTC President & CEO, Gloria Guevara. “Among the most important of these measures are those which will enable the aviation sector to take-off. Aviation’s return is critical to help repower the global economic recovery.”

“WTTC aviation protocols were created in close collaboration with ACI and IATA. We thank them and their leaders Angela Gittens and Alexandre de Juniac for their guidance, as it is vital we restore consumer confidence to get people traveling and flying safely,” she added. “The expertise from large and small tour operators contributed to define the new experience via tour operators and visiting event venues again, and were defined in the coordination of experts from this segment, through these robust global measures which have been embraced by businesses around the world.”

Visit WTTC.org to view a complete breakdown of the latest Safe Travels global protocols.

This post was published by our news partner: TravelPulse.com | Article Source

Comments & Discussion

Continue Reading

latest episode


Advertisement
Advertisement

Jet Set on TheGo!

Travel News & Exclusive Deals delivered right to your inbox weekly!
* indicates required

Trending