At least 26 people were injured when Houthi rebels attacked the arrivals hall of an airport in Saudi Arabia with a missile on Wednesday.
According to ArabNews.com, government officials revealed that eight people injured in the attack were treated at Abha International Airport in southwestern Saudi Arabia, while at least eight others were transferred to local hospitals.
MORE Impacting Travel
The airport’s arrival hall also received “material damage,” according to a statement from Turki al-Malki, who is the spokesman for the United States-backed, Saudi-led coalition fighting against the rebels in Yemen.
“Three women, a Yemeni, an Indian and Saudi and two Saudi children were amongst those injured,” al-Malki said. “Authorities are working on identifying the type of missile that was used in this terrorist attack.”
“In light of these terrorist and immoral transgressions by the Houthis, the coalition will take strict measures urgently and carefully to deter them,” al-Malki continued. “This includes protecting civilians and civilian assets. The terrorist elements responsible for planning and carrying out this attack will be held accountable.”
Abha International Airport serves domestic flights within Saudi Arabia, as well as international routes to Egypt and the United Arab Emirates.
Comments & Discussion
Expedia Group Lends a Hand With $275 Million Program
Expedia Group has announced its commitment of $275 million USD to help partners rebound from the impact of COVID-19 and fuel industry-wide recovery efforts.
Expedia Group’s recovery program is comprised of global initiatives to support industry recovery and property-level relief designed to help independent partners and small chains rebuild their business, attract high-value guests, and optimize cash flow.
Below are some of the program highlights.
To Restore Partners:
– Expedia Group is committing $250 million in marketing credits and financial relief. For each property that participates in the program, the company will reinvest 25% of the compensation earned in 2019 from the property into marketing credits for use with Expedia Group.
– To better understand when demand will return to a market, Expedia Group is providing proprietary data to track trends through a new analytics tool called Market Insights. The dynamic dashboard provides trends on website traffic, stay dates, and demand source markets.
– To support chains and owner groups, Expedia Group released a streamlined version of its optimized distribution solution that allows lodging suppliers to more effectively manage the distribution of wholesale rates among third party travel providers.
To Restore Destinations:
– To re-ignite demand through market awareness, Expedia Group Media Solutions is opening a $25 million fund for destinations. This recovery plan focuses on destination-led and co-op campaigns, which bring together destination and supply partners with similar audiences to manage their advertising spend while maximizing their conversions.
– To keep travel top of mind, Expedia Group is rolling out a series of global brand campaigns. For example, an online campaign from Media Solutions called Where Next? helps customers discover new destinations.
To Restore the Industry:
– To help furloughed and displaced workers advance during this time, Expedia Group has created a complimentary training and education program called Expedia Group Academy. The program offers skill development through online learning modules and live content led by Expedia Group subject matter experts and travel industry leaders.
– To ensure customers can book with confidence, Expedia Group created a new feature for lodging partners to highlight the health and hygiene measures at their properties.
– To meet the needs of cautious customers and ensure booking flexibility, nearly 70% of lodging rate plans on Expedia Group sites are now refundable.
Comments & Discussion
American Airlines Plans to Suspend All Regional Operations out of Miami
Republic Airways Furloughs Over 300 Employees
American Airlines Retires 5 Aircraft Types
Frontier Airlines Requires Passengers to Wear Masks Starting May 8
Cruises2 weeks ago
Royal Caribbean To Eliminate Buffets on Post-Coronavirus Cruises
Airline News2 weeks ago
Missing Airline Food? You Can Order It To Your Home! (Yes, Really!)
Airline News2 weeks ago
Mexican Airline Offering Unlimited Flight Packages
Airline News1 week ago
Delta Resuming Several Major US and International Routes in June